Thursday, August 03, 2006

DJ Shadow's 'The Outsider'.

No point reviewing an album one doesn't like very much. So here's an excuse to up the best tracks from it. The one with the found studio vocal from 30 years ago just scraping in would be the almost interesting epic with Phonte of Little Brother. The rest is just disposable hyphy stuff or far too bland Coldplay-esque for my ears. At best it would make a decent 6 track EP. Or a wicked 2 track 12". The Q-Tip & Lateef joint Enuff is just generic club rap. Will probably be a hit.

Sadly this new album just didn't work for me at all. Sounds like he was reaching to get airplay on 3 diffent styles of radio stations. Lacks cohesion & suffers greatly. And I did want to like it. The decent tracks probably only stand out more because some of the others are horrid. Inbuilt prejudice in thininking that Shadow could do no wrong. Oh, I forgot about that Keane remix he did a few years back. As long as he enjoys it then its all good.

I wonder how many hyphy dudes owned Endtroducing?

• MP3: DJ SHADOW: - This Time.
• MP3: DJ SHADOW: - BackStage Girl ft Phonte Coleman

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I wonder how many hyphy dudes owned Endtroducing?"

That is a very good question.

But, you know, Shadow's made his bed, now he can lie in it. He seems happy enough, or so he says, so good luck to him.

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, too.

Anonymous said...

I had a feeling this LP would be ordinary after catching his show at the horden... was it just me or was his encore mix completey out?!

perish said...

Disappointed also. Why didn't he let you see what he waqs doing/using at his shows?

Planet said...

"Oh how the mighty have fallen" Damn shame.